If we agree that you can build public sewers, be sure to provide sufficient access points to the canal concerned (wells and break-in points). Ideally, buildings and extensions should not be housed where they would remove an existing access point. If this is not feasible, we can accept the transfer of an access point outside of the proposed evolution. If you are building or expanding a building 3 m from the median line of a public canal, the work must meet certain standards to protect the sewers and building from possible damage. In some cases, you may need to obtain the United Utilities formal written agreement before you start work. If you are planning any type of development, building something new or expanding an existing building, you should check to see if there is anything underground that can be affected, i.e. water or sewer lines. Our real estate research team can provide maps showing the location of our assets. If you sell your property, we will know that the sewers/drain have been built and that the work corresponds to our agreement.

On request, we will confirm this information to individuals or mortgage lenders acting on behalf of a potential buyer. If a building or extension is less than 3 m from the middle line of a sewer pipe, and if the pipe is less than 225 mm in diameter, or if the bottom of the pipe is less than 3 m deep below the ground, Manchester Building Control has obtained from United Utilities the authority to approve the sewers, provided that the protection measures provided in the building code are respected and that the work is inspected by the Council`s surveyors. First, whether the building, or the expansion or working with the support – If a developer works with building control, the inspector will check for cases where a build over may be needed. If they are satisfied with the proposals and this meets our criteria, they will approve it on our behalf and the developer will not have to contact us for further permissions. Anyone can apply for the contract, including an owner or contractor. The most relevant is the one who is qualified, experienced or insured to create the information folder required for the construction contract. Of course, an entrepreneur may have the experience of the physical work associated with it, but this is completely independent of the experience in design and associated professional liability insurance. The owners of the United Kingdom have no assurance for this work. They will also tell us if they find that the affected sewers/sewers are in poor condition or if the soil conditions are unsatisfactory. In this case, we will visit one of our own inspectors on the site to see what needs to happen next. Frequent problems with construction agreements that are not professionally designed (do-it-yourself): if you live in an area where LABC does not use the protocol (Cumbria, High Peak and Tameside) or if your certified inspector has not signed our protocol, contact us directly via our „Build over enquiry form“ (PDF 576 KB will be open in a new window).

This should be where you intend to build above or within 3 meters of a United Utilities public sewer, a construction agreement will be required. The requirement for a construction contract is defined in the construction code part H4 Each construction control centre that operates under our „protocol“ refers to all cases where a construction contract may be requested for further study.